The Christmasological Argument By Richard CarrierPosted by Phil Ferguson on December 27th, 2010 – 1 Comment – Posted in atheists
Tip to Darrel
- Either the universe had a beginning or has always existed.
- Both science and logic entail the universe had a beginning.
- Therefore the universe had a beginning.
- Everything that has a beginning has a cause.
- Therefore the universe had a cause.
- Every cause must be either personal or mechanical.
- But every mechanical cause is by definition a part of the universe, and therefore no mechanical cause can have preceded the universe to cause it.
- Therefore the universe must have had a personal cause.
- Creating the universe is the greatest gift conceivable.
- The greatest gift conceivable can only have been given by the greatest gift giver conceivable.
- Santa Claus is by definition the greatest gift giver conceivable.
- Therefore, Santa Claus caused the universe to exist.
- Therefore, Santa Claus exists.