UW-Madison Atheists Send An E-mail To Every Student And Get Some Fun ResponsesPosted by Phil Ferguson on October 31st, 2011 – Comments Off on UW-Madison Atheists Send An E-mail To Every Student And Get Some Fun Responses – Posted in atheists, Students
Today, we sent out a mass email to all of the 40,000 – 50,000 students on campus. This is a service provided to all registered student organizations willing to cough up $100 for it… and it was worth every penny. In less than 24 hours, we recruited 86 new members to our email list, added 63 people to our Facebook group, and our blog traffic spiked by about 100x. Hey new people!
For those who missed it, here’s what our mass email looked like:
Are you an atheist, agnostic, skeptic, pastafarian, or otherwise nonreligious student?
Come join Atheists, Humanists, and Agnostics at UW-Madison this Fall!
AHA is a great way to meet fellow nonbelievers here on campus, all while getting involved in the secular movement. Our meetings will be every Wednesday at 7 PM in 155 Van Hise.
We hope to see you there!
In the meantime, join our email list for info regarding upcoming
meetings and events by simply sending a blank email to this address.
And be sure to check out our Facebook group.
Additionally, if you’re blog-savvy, we have one of those as well.
Pretty innocuous, yes? Tens of thousands of people calmly tolerated this minor intrusion into their life, deleted the email, and then proceeded to move on with the rest of their day. Others could not resist the urge to share their disagreement, pity, and anger with us. I’ve taken the liberty of organizing the best of these replies into a few rough categories. As you will see, some messages unfortunately could belong in multiple groupings.
No attempt was made to correct grammatical errors.
Group 1: Seems to have a problem with the shift key.
- TAKE ME OFF YOUR LIST!
- Never send this e-mail to me AGAIN!
- GOD LOVES YOU!
- GOD ROCKS! Good luck on judgment day!
- REMOVE ME
- I do believe in God, please REMOVE ME FROM THIS EMAIL LIST!
Group 2: It’s the thought that counts, I suppose.
- I’ll pray for you.
- I am not interested, but will keep you in my prayers.
- Hello. Please remove me from your email list, thanks. Also, I am sorry that your club has such beliefs, that is an unfortunate way to live. I will pray for you.
- Take me off of your email list…. God loves you.
- just want to let you know that GOD still loves you, and we are all his children.
Group 3: Looks like someones got a case of the Mondays!
- why is this being sent to my email. do you even know if i’m religious or not. your club is stupid.
- You’re group sucks. You’re going to Hell!
- Ummm…. I’m a religious jew. Don’t send this crap to me.
- I am a Christian. Take your ignorance elsewhere.
- This is bull shit. Evil only exists in this world because of the absence of GOD. Take me off this email list please. Hope you enjoy your non-belivers party, losers.
Group 4: Missing the point, badly.
- Don’t email me these requests. If you choose to be “atheist,” then you call yourself god. Please take me off whatever list you have created. Thanks.
- Why is a group like this needed? Is it something you fear or do you just hate christians that much to want to exclude them?
- the secular movement? really? more like popular culture- lolkatz- don’t send your stuff here
- Feel free to never send me emails again. I don’t need to hear this kind of stuff showing up in my mailbox. I’m a faithful Christian and I’m sorry that you’ve lost your way.
Group 5: Bat shit crazy.
- You live in a nation under GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all. His miracles surround you every day. Open your eyes. The only person that would die for you are the men and women of the US Armed Forces and the Lord Jesus Christ. Get with the program fools and stop spreading this useless shit. There are real problems out there.
- I just wanted to let you know that Jesus loves you and he is coming back soon. All will bow down and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. Have a blessed and wonderful day!<3
Keep in mind these messages are all coming from students at the University of Wisconsin.
Folks, we have a lot of work left to do.